No Starch Press Foundation Application Process
NOTE: The 2020 grant cycle has ended. We
Before applying, please note:
- NSPF will notify grant recipients no later than 11:59 PM, PST, December 15, 2020. Grant decisions will also be announced via our website.
- Please note that applications will only remain pending in our system for the duration of a single grant cycle.
- If your application is not selected, we encourage you to apply again in future cycles!
- We will award up to US $100,000 in grants in 2020. Grants will range up to US $10,000 each. Awarded grants may be for less than the amount requested.
We have a three step process:
- Step One: Review the NSPF Grant Guidelines.
Please read the NSPF Grant Guidelines before applying to see if you meet our basic criteria for receiving a grant.
- Step Two: Read the NSPF Application FAQ.
Please read the NSPF Application FAQ before applying so you are fully informed of the NSPF process.
- Step Three – Submit Application Form
Individuals, Groups, or Organizations who are interested should submit an application using the form below. Applications must be in English. It is the applicant’s obligation to translate language, verbal or Braille, into written English.
Please direct any questions or concerns to [email protected].
NOTE: We will be unable to respond to your questions about grant status. If you need to edit your grant request you should find a link to do so when you receive a confirmation email.
Eligibility and Considerations
- Eligible applicants include but are not limited to students, student groups, independent security and privacy researchers, small organizations, and individuals.
- NSPF gives preference to projects run on small budgets and those less likely to receive corporate, institutional, or government funding.
- NSPF currently only awards grants in the United States. We hope to begin awarding grants globally in the not too distant future.
- If you have questions about our grant process please write to us at email@example.com.
- Members of the NSPF Board, Programming, Fundraising, Advisory, and other committees are ineligible for consideration.
- NSPF does not consider funding requests for:
- Activities that are not consistent with the NSPF mission.
- Animal related programs, including shelters
- Athletic teams, events, booster clubs, or sponsorships
- Awards, monuments and/or memorials
- Capital campaigns, building projects
- Deficit funding
- Development or production of books, films, videos, television programs, social media, or websites
- Endowments or reserve funds
- Fundraising events
- General awareness campaigns/advocacy
- Government agencies
- Individual crowdfunding, GoFundMe pages, or similar
- Individual primary and secondary schools, PTOs, and PTAs
- Loans or investments
- Merchandise for fundraisers and auctions
- Merchandise promotions, partnerships, or advertising
- Parties, celebrations, parades, festivals, or raffles or related expenses
- Political or religious symposiums, conferences, or conventions
- Political organizations
- Private foundations
- Professional association meetings or related expenses
- Religious organizations for religious purposes
- Research studies outside the scope of our Mission
- Salaries or staff training
- School tuition
Grant funds may not be used to promote or engage in criminal acts of violence, terrorism, hate crimes, the destruction of any state, or discrimination on the basis of race, national origin, religion, military and veteran status, disability, sex, age, gender identity or sexual orientation, or support of any entity that engages in these activities.
If you have additional questions please email us at [email protected].